Thursday, June 7, 2012

Little Women

It's time for summer reading at Barnes and Noble and we have tons of kids coming in asking about what books to get from their list. Several books on the lists are books that I have wanted to read at some point but regrettably haven't gotten around to it. The first book I decided to read is Little Women. I already have it and I've wanted to read it for a while. So here's a quote from Little Women.

My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world,- marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes, because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing,- and, when used well, a noble thing,- but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."
"Poor girls don't stand any chance, Belle says, unless they put themselves forward," sighed Meg.
"Then we'll be right old maids," said Jo, stoutly.
"Right, Jo; better be happy old maids than unhappy wives, or unmaidenly girls, running about to find husbands," said Mrs. March, decidedly. 

1 comment: